DIY State Pillow

Friday, March 14, 2014

Get ready to make the cutest State pillow... and its so simple!! If you missed the pillow tutorial last week, click HERE to get your pillow cover ready to add your state appliqué.  You can also use an already owned pillow cover or store bought one, but it needs to be removable.  You will be laying it flat to iron on the state. 

What do you need?
pillow form
pillow cover
fabric for your state
scissors
pen or marker for tracing
heat bond (sewing or non sewing... depending on your preference of finishing the appliqué)
fray check to seal the edges
printer
printer paper
state face free font- download HERE
iron
ironing board
any accessory embellishments














The StateFace Font
After you have gathered your supplies and downloaded the font Stateface, open your word processor,
select the font and type your corresponding letter for your state. You will need to increase the size of your state to fit your pillow. Just increase the font size as you would when writing a word. I increased my state to approx. 250pt. I also changed the fill to white or no fill and just made a black outline of the  shape. This saves your printer from using a lot of black ink. Not all word processors and page layout programs will let you easily do this, so just play around with it. I use Adobe InDesign for all of my page layouts.


Print your state and cut out your shape. Now put on your thinking cap and look at your fabric. You are going to trace your state onto the fabric. Lay the state on the right side of the fabric and trace onto the fabric. Use a pen or marker that will not bleed into the fabric. There are special fabric pens for tracing, but I just used a non-pernament fine tip marker.


Carefully cut out your shape along the inside of your traced line. 


Now take out your Heat Bond material and read the directions... a couple of times :) Cut out a piece of the heat bond that is slightly larger than your state. Lay your fabric down with the good side on the ironing board and lay the sparkly (not the plain paper side) onto the wrong side of your fabric. Set your iron to Medium/no steam. Place the iron on the paper side of your heat bond material for 2 seconds to slightly adhere the adhesive to your state. Let it cool. If you have any non-adhered pieces just do a couple more seconds with the iron and remember to let it cool. Otherwise, you will pull off the adhesive.


Carefully peel the paper off the back of your fabric. You will be left with a shiny film on your fabric that you will use to adhere the shape to your pillow cover. You can see how the paper peels off in the photo below.


Now, make sure your iron is still on medium with no steam. Center up your state onto your pillow cover. Place the iron on the state for 6-8 seconds for each section. You may need longer for thicker fabrics. Let it cool and test to make sure that all of the shape is stuck... if not just heat it with the iron for a little longer. You can also flip it over (if you can get to it) and iron it that way for a few seconds.


Put your pillow form in your pillow cover and you are all done! Just like that, so easy! I stitched a button onto the middle of Oklahoma for an added personal touch, since we live in the middle of the state. I made this one for a dear friend... so now I need to go make another one for myself. 


My daughter and I used this same method to make a girly camera pillow as well. 

27 comments:

  1. Very very cool. Thank you for sharing this fab tutorial. Definitely had to pin and I am thinking ahead to Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dawn. I too think it would be an awesome Christmas gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea and tutorial! This would be great as a framed piece of art as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would Lyndsay!! You could do anything at all with it!

      Delete
  4. Love the colors you chose for the pillow! Hoping to make a Michigan and Georgia one soon.
    Featuring you today from the Creative Connection Party :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Meredith! You have to post a picture of yours too.

      Delete
  5. This is so cute! I love the prints you used. I'd love for you to come by and share it at The Makers this Tuesday at TinySidekick.com! Hope to see you there.
    Corey @ TinySidekick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corey thank you so much and I will stop by. Love your blog

      Delete
  6. Too cute, love seeing Oklahoma when I scroll through a link party! Great tutorial as well...maybe I'll have to venture my way into pillow making one of these days. :) Needless to say, I've got to get some sort of Oklahoma craft in my home very very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've lived in many states, but Oklahoma has a special place in my heart and yes you need an Oklahoma pillow :)

      Delete
  7. I LOVE this pillow! SO cute! Your pillows are just phenomenal :) Thank you so much for linking up at Thursday STYLE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. super cute I can remember fun pillows in home-ec class so fun
    come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got to take home-ec :( But I'm having fun sewing now!

      Delete
  9. Michelle this is such a darling pillow! Love the fabrics you used, they worked perfectly for your pillow! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

    Would love for you to stop by tomorrow and link this up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
    -Lindsey
    Fabric Frenzy Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and saying hi.

      Delete
  10. This is so cute! Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute pillow! I could make one for every state I've lived in!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you T'onna.... I know I would have way to many to make if I do everywhere that we have lived!

      Delete
  12. I love your creation. Thank you so much for linking it up to WIW. Hope to see you back! I am featuring you today. Xo~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Aniko! Can't wait to check it out.

      Delete
  13. What a clever design! I just wanted to let you know that I am linking to this post this week if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssa, thank you and for the feature. :)

      Delete
  14. I love this pillow! Thanks for linking up to the Be. You. Tiful Link party. Hope to see you back tomorrow night. Pinning:)

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments from my readers! I promise to answer as quickly as possible. Thank you for stopping by.

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger